Event: Basketball - Trinity (D.C.) @ Hollins (Roanoke, VA)
The lead: Two days after opening the 2018-19 season with a home loss to Mary Baldwin, the Hollins basketball team was back in action, on their home floor, when they played host to Trinity Washington University. Both teams came in looking for their first victory of the young season.
The result: Hollins 126-26
How it happened: The teams traded baskets to start the game, with the score tied at 5-5 and 7:55 left in the first, Hollins closed the opening quarter on a 30-4 explosion. The Hollins defense continued to make life tough on the Tigers, holding Trinity to just 18.4% shooting for the night. The Green and Gold extended their advantage throughout the game, cruising to a big win and evening their record, 1-1, on the young season. Hollins shot 45% from the field, 36% from long range, and 64.3% from the stripe. All 11 Hollins players scored on the night and they enjoyed a 79-23 edge on the glass.
- First-year guard Kayla Surles posted a stat line of 19 points, seven rebounds, eight assists, and four steals in just over 22 minutes of play
- Keyazia Taylor recorded a double-double with 17 points and 15 rebounds while fellow post player LaChrisha Hill added eight points and 10 boards
- Keenan Surles, 13 points, and Sydney Strange combined for five of Hollins nine made three pointers
- Hollins scored 49 points off 28 Trinity turnovers
- Despite four early fouls, Jayla Brown-Thomas led the team with 12 points and eight rebounds
- Alyssa King came off the bench to add 11 points and six rebounds
- The Tigers gave up 32 second chance points
What's next: Hollin swill travel to North Carolina next weekend to compete in the Jean Edge Classic hosted by N.C. Wesleyan.