The event: Basketball - Hollins at Bridgewater (Bridgewater, VA)
The lead: After taking a few days to enjoy the Thanksgiving holiday, the Hollins basketball team traveled to Bridgewater on Sunday afternoon to kick off Old Dominion Athletic Conference (ODAC) play. Hollins came into their ODAC opener with a 2-2 mark, while the Eagles came into the game off a loss to Randolph-Macon and a 3-1 record overall.
The result: Bridgewater 81-56
How it happened: Hollins shook off the holiday rust and played the host Eagles close throughout the opening period of play. Hollins started to fall behind, and trailed by 10 with 4:00 to go before the break. However, Bridgewater would use a 22-8 run over the closing minutes of the first half and the first 1:30 of the second to put the game out of reach. The Green and Gold would rally to win the final quarter, 16-13, but it wasn't enough as the Eagles would even their ODAC record at 1-1, with Hollins starting the 2018-19 campaign, 0-1.
- 11 points by senior Sally Sroge would pace the Hollins offense
- Keyazia Taylor collected 13 of Hollins 38 rebounds, Bridgewater enjoyed a 45-38 edge on the glass
- Eight points each by Kayla Surles and Yasmine Tyler
- The Eagles would shoot 45% from the field and 43.8% (7-16) from long range
- Rebecca Harvey led with 18 points while four different Eagles reached double-digits
- The starting five went 12-13 from the free throw line
What's next: Hollins will face the tough task of hosting ODAC power Emory & Henry on Wednesday night at 7:00pm.