Event: Basketball - Guilford at Hollins (Roanoke, VA)
The lead: The second of three consecutive Old Dominion Athletic Conference home games took place on Wednesday night as the conference leaders from Guilford College came to Roanoke for a rematch. The Quakers defeated Hollins back on January 2nd and looked to finish the month 8-1 while Hollins took a second attempt at winning back-to-back ODAC games this season.
The result: Guilford 55-41
How it happened: For the second straight game, Hollins shot above 40% during a first half that saw two ties and six lead changes. Hollins would drill a three pointer with 4:14 remaining in the half. However, the Quakers would close the half on a 5-0 run to take a 26-21 advantage into the break. The third quarter would once again be the undoing for the home team. Back in January, Guilford out-scored Hollins 16-2 in the third frame and tonight it was more of the same. Hollins hit only two of her 12 attempts and fell behind by 13 heading into the final frame. Guilford continued to grow their edge and with five and a half minutes to play, led by 21. Hollins would begin to use a full court press to turn over the Quakers and mount a late rally that would see the deficit cut to nine, 50-41, in the closing seconds.
- Kayla Surles led all scorers with 17 points while handing out a game high six assists
- Sophmore Keyazia Taylor recorded just seven rebounds, snapping a four game double-digit streak but blocked a season high seven shots
- Hollins scored 13 points on Guilford's 14 turnovers
- The Quakers would score 10 points on their 14 offensive rebounds
- Miracle Walters led with 15 points while Brianna Allen went 3-4 from long range to add 13
- Freshman Lindsay Gauldin was held well below her scoring average but grabbed 16 rebounds to go with three assists, and two steals
What's next: Hollins will wrap up her three game home stand on saturday when they face Virginia Wesleyan at 2pm.