Event: Lacrosse - Hollins at North Carolina Wesleyan (Rocky Mount, NC)
The lead: After picking up their first win of the season on Friday over Randolph, the Hollins lacrosse team embarked on a two game road trip through North Carolina during Spring Break. The first game would be a stop in Rocky Mount to face North Carolina Wesleyan on Tuesday afternoon.
The result: Hollins 16-14
How it happened: The first 8:00 of the matchup went by with little to no fanfare. However, it would be Hollins that would crack the Battling Bishop defense to get the scoring started. Allie Helmbrecht went to net and was awarded two free position shots in a one minute stretch. Helmbrecht netted both free position shots to give Hollins a lead that they would enjoy throughout the afternoon. After a North Carolina Wesleyan score, Hollins would close the half by scoring seven of the final 10 goals of the frame. A 4-0 run by the home team would make it 11-10 about midway through the second half. Hollins would respond with three straight scores to once again seize control and hold on for the win.
- Helmbrecht finished with six goals and an assist
- After scoring her first goal on Friday, Kate Woodruff added three scores while Madi Szurley added four goals
- Top defender, Sydney Strange caused four turnovers while scoring the first goal of her collegiate career
- Emma Wilson earned her second win of the season while recording six saves
North Carolina Wesleyan notes:
- Grace Look led NCW with six goals while Ali Cucinotta added five scores and an assist
- Madison O'Neill had two of the four total assists. The two teams combine for 30 goals with just four helpers
- Millenia Crespo registered seven saves in net
What's next: Hollins will look to end their trip 2-0 when they travel to Salem College on Thursday for a 4:00pm draw.