Event: Volleyball - Ferrum vs. Hollins (Salem, VA)
The lead: Hollins would look to start the season 5-0 when they took the court against Ferrum College. It has been a long time since Hollins had defeated the Panthers and this would be the first of three matches this season featuring the new Old Dominion Athletic Conference (ODAC) rivals.
The result: Hollins 3-1 (25-21, 19-25, 25-21, 25-19)
How it happened: The two teams would trade runs in a first set that saw several lead changes and five ties before Hollins broke away late for the win. The second set, it was the Panthers turn to use an 11-5 surge to even the match at 1-1. The third and forth sets were tight but in each instance the young Hollins team would get the stops they needed to preserve their lead and take the match 3-1.
- Middle Kiki Speights would kill 10 of her 20 attacks to go with outside hitter Deja Hadden's 12 kills
- For the third straight match Casey Mahan would assist on 30+ kills and now sits in fifth in the ODAC with 147 assists
- Brie Faircloth and Courtney Chappell came off the bench to give Hollins a much needed spark by hitting a combined .750
- Hollins would add eight more service aces giving them 37 total and ranking 3rd in the ODAC with 2.31 aces per set
- At 5-0 Hollins is the lone ODAC school with a undefeated record
- Kaelyn Daniel and Cheyenne Strickland combined for 22 kills
- Strickland added 18 assists and 15 digs
- The loss was Ferrum's first of the 2018 season
What's next: Hollins will have a short time before they are back on the court. They will be back in action tomorrow morning at 9:00am against Piedmont to open day two of the 2018 Maroon Classic in Salem, VA.