Event: Volleyball - Shenandoah vs. Hollins (Lynchburg, VA)
The lead: Thursday night marked the first of four consecutive Old Dominion Athletic conference (ODAC) matches for the Hollins volleyball team. A trip to Lynchburg was on tap for Saturday for a tri-match with Shenandoah and Randolph for a Hollins squad searching for an early ODAC victory.
The result: Shenandoah 3-0 (27-25, 25-13, 25-21)
How it happened: The first set would see several lead changes and eight ties as the two teams would need "extra" points to decide the winner. The score was tied at 25-25, when the Hornets would record back-to-back kills to take the 1-0 advantage. With all the momentum on their side, Shenandoah would use an 11-8 kill advantage to build a 2-0 lead. The thrid set would see Shenandoah once again use a run to build an advantage. The score was tied, 8-8, when the Hornets used a 9-3 spurt to pull away and go on for the sweep, 3-0, and positioning in the ODAC standings.
- Hannah Piatak led the back row with 17 digs
- 10 kills by Deja Hadden brought the seniors season total to 130
- Tyler Sesker registered five kills on just eight attempts
- Emily Cheatwood and Caylin Harris combined for 29 of the Hornets 48 kills
- Megan Hillyard assisted on the deciding points of the open set and finished with 34
- Both teams would post 20+% hitting totals (SU .258 and HU .204)
What's next: Hollins will take a 30 break before taking the court against the WildCats in their second match of the afternoon.