Event: Volleyball - Hollins at Randolph (Lynchburg, VA)
The lead: The Hollins volleyball team would have a chance to earn a split in Saturday's tri-match when they took the court against the home standing WildCats on Saturday afternoon. Despite being in the early stages of the Old Dominion Athletic Conference (ODAC) schedule, a loss would put Hollins in a very difficult spot in the league standings.
The result: Hollins 3-1 (25-23, 28-30, 25-20, 25-19)
How it happened: Hollins would find themselves in the exact situation they did against Shenandoah earlier in the afternoon, tied at 23-23 in the opening set. This time, the Green and Gold would get consecutive kills to take the 1-0 lead. The second set would go deep into play with the score tied. The score would be tied at 24-24, 25-25, 26-26, 27-27, and 28-28. However it was the WildCats that would take the hard fought set, 30-28, and even the match. The next two sets would be close as well, but despite being out-hit (28-21) it would be the defense causing 16 Randolph errors in the final two sets to give Hollins her first ODAC win of the season.
- Hollins last ODAC win was a forfeit by Bridgewater on September 14, 2013 and last on-court win was against Eastern Mennonite on October 10, 2012
- Deja Hadden (19), Kenna Esquibel (11), and Kiki Speights (10) each posted double-digit kills
- Setter Casey Mahan had a season high 44 assists
- On the back row, Hannah Piatak had 16 digs with Esquibel adding 15
- Amanda Troxell had 21 kills with Mackenzie Ambrose adding 15
- Randolph out assisted Hollins 56-49 while enjoying a 59-52 kill edge
- Hollins got 32 points off hitting errors and seven by way of receiving errors
What's next: Hollins will continue ODAC play when they host Lynchburg on Wednesday at 7:30pm.