Event: Volleyball - Hollins at Eastern Mennonite (Harrisonburg, VA)
The lead: Weather and traffic delays got the trip to Eastern Mennonite off to a bad start on Thursday night. With the Roanoke Valley being blasted with flash floods, Hollins made the 100 mile trip north to face a Royals team that was looking for their first Old Dominion Athletic Conference (ODAC) win of the season.
The result: Eastern Mennonite 3-0 (25-13, 25-20, 25-17)
How it happened: The Hollins volleyball team watched the minutes pass by as they were at a stand still on Interstate 81 caused by heavy traffic and flash flooding in the valley. When they finally arrived in Harrisonburg, the Royals lay in wait and took advantage of a road weary Hollins squad. EMU would cruise in the opening set before showing a dominate, 19 kill, effort at the net to take a 2-0 lead. Hollins just never got started as Eastern Mennonite was able to race out to early advantages in each of the three sets en route to the sweep and their first ODAC win of the season.
- Hollins was out-killed 46-25
- Kenna Esquibel and Hannah Arthur combined for nine kills with just one error
- Casey Mahan had 21 assists and eight digs
Eastern Mennonite notes:
- Hannah Johnson posted 13 kills and two blocks
- The Royals took advanatge of 13 attack and seven service errors by Hollins
- With the win, EMU and Hollins are tied with 1-5 ODAC records
What's next: Hollins will wrap up a a week that has seen the Green and Gold go on the road for three ODAC matches in four days as Hollins will travel to Guilford tomorrow night.