The event: Basketball - Hollins at Guilford (Greensboro, NC)
The lead: After finishing up 2018 with a heartbreaking loss to Wilson, the Hollins basketball team traveled to Greensboro to take on Guilford College in Old Dominion Athletic Conference (ODAC) play. Hollins played the Quakers tough for the first 20 minutes, however, Guilford used a 16-2 burst in the third quarter to pull away for the conference win.
The result: Guilford 70-41
How it happened: The home standing Quakers scored the first four points of the night before Hollins stormed back to take the lead, 5-4. Guilford would re-take the lead and begin to stretch out their advantage throughout the first half. A nine point first quarter edge turned into a 14 point halftime lead for Guilford. The third frame was not kind to the visitors from Hollins as the home team would hold their guests to just two free throws en route to putting the game away. Hollins would finish the night with a 15 point effort, their best quarter of the game, as the Quakers secured the ODAC win.
- Keyazia Taylor registered a double-double with 12 points and 11 rebounds
- All 10 Hollins bench points came from Chesslyn Owens on 4-8 shooting
- Hollins hit just four of their 21 three pont attempts (19%)
- 17 points and 14 rebounds by Lindsay Gauldin paced the Quakers
- Miracle Walters (13) and Brianna Allen (17) also scored double figures
- Guilford enjoyed a 49-31 advantage on the glass
What's next: Hollins will host Bridgewater College on Saturday at 2:00pm. It is a rematch of game in November where the Eagles came away with an 81-56 victory.