The event: Basketball - Hollins at Washington and Lee (Lexington, VA)
The lead: The Hollins basketball team made the short trip north to Lexington on Tuesday night for a matchup with the Generals of Washington and Lee. Hollins would face their Old Dominion Athletic Conference (ODAC) rivals just days before their final home game of the 2018-19 regular season. W&L used 50% three point shooting in the first half to break open a close game and cruise to the ODAC victory.
The result: Washington and Lee 82-38
How it happened: The Generals enjoyed and early advantage, 16-3, before a Hollins rally would make the score 18-17 with just over a minute left in the first quarter. Washington and Lee would close the frame on a 5-1 run to seize momentum. The second quarter would see the home team continue their hot shooting, 50% from the field and three point line, in a second quarter that would see the lead grow to 21 at the break. A depleted Hollins bench would not be able to provide any relief as the Generals wore Hollins down for the final 20 minutes. In the end, W&L had earned the ODAC victory while enjoying one of their best shooting efforts of the season.
- On the back of a trio of three pointers, Keenan Surles led Hollins with 15 points
- Keyazia Taylor secured nine rebounds while adding two blocked shots to her ODAC leading total
- Hollins scored 13 points on the Genearls 18 turnovers
Washington and Lee notes:
- Erin Hughes led a quartet of players in double figures with 20 points
- Jordan Diehl grabbed a game high 10 boards
- W&L out-rebounded Hollins 46-21
What's next: Hollins will wrap up the home portion of their regular season with a game against Shenandoah on Saturday afternoon. Hollins will take a few moments to honor senior Sally Sroge prior to tip-off.