Event: Lacrosse - Randolph at Hollins (Roanoke, VA)
The lead: The Hollins lacrosse team welcomed a long-time rival on Friday afternoon when Randolph College came to town for a pre-break matchup of long time Old Dominion Athletic Conference (ODAC) foes. Hollins fell to the WildCats last April and would use a hot start as they looked to exact a bit of revenge on their rival.
The result: Hollins 10-9
How it happened: Hollins raced out to a big early lead. Allie Helmbrecht and Madi Szurley alternated scoring the first five goals of the game as the home team enjoyed a 5-0 edge at the midway point of the first half. However, Randolph College would answer with five straight scores to knot the game at 5-5, heading into the final four minutes of the frame. Helmbrecht would complete a free position attempt with 34 seconds on the clock to give Hollins a one goal lead at the break. The wind picked up and the rain set in during a second half that would see the score tied at 8-8 with 10 minutes left to play. Hollins would take the lead before a free position opportunity would allow the Wildcats to tie once again. Both teams had chances but turnovers prevented either team from putting the game away. With 1:02 on the clock, Helmbrecht was able to split a double team and net the go ahead score. Randolph had a chance but Hollins picked up a loose ball and Sydney Strange would run out the clock to give Hollins her first win of the season.
- Helmbrecht would finish with a season high seven goals while Szurley added two scores
- Kate Woodruff scored the first goal of her collegiate career to give Hollins the lead late
- Strange had four draw controls and matched Helmbrecht with seven ground balls
- Emma Wilson earned her first win, registering nine saves
- Chrissy Shackleford was solid in net, recording 18 saves and picking up 10 ground balls while seeing 35 Hollins shots
- Hannah Bradley led with four goals with Dana Cavallo and Sarah Perry adding two scores each
- Randolph committed 26 turnovers to Hollins 16
What's next: Hollins will play a pair of road games during Spring Break. Break will begin with a trip to North Carolina Wesleyan on Tuesday afternoon.