Event: Lacrosse - Hollins at Montreat (Montreat, NC)
The Lead: The Hollins lacrosse team took the field for the final time in 2019 when they traveled to face Montreat on Wednesday afternoon. With a win over the Cavaliers, Hollins would enjoy their best season since they won six games back in 2001.
The result: Hollins 18-7
How it happened: The Green and Gold wasted little time in jumping out to an early lead on their hosts. Hollins scored five straight goals to start the game. A Cavalier score cut it to 5-1, before Hollins once again went to work on the offensive end of the field. Three of the next four scores would belong to Hollins as the visitors took an 8-2 advantage into the break. A 5-0 run early in the second frame would allow Hollins to pull away. Thanks in big part to a 48-18 shot advantage, Hollins would earn her fifth win of the season, 18-7.
- Senior Allie Helmbrecht scored nine times in her final game, giving her 60 goals on the season
- Mara Smith added three scores, finishing the season with seven goals
- Sophomore Madi Szurley scored her 11th goal of the year, second on the team
- First-year goalie Emma Wilson registered six saves (98 for the season) en route to earning her fifth win of the year
- Taylor Fox paced the Cavaliers with five goals
- Each team recorded one assist
- Hollins would enjoy a 19-6 draw advantage
What's next: Hollins finishes the season with a 5-7 record, posting the most wins since a six win effort in 2001. Hollins eclipsed the four win total of the 2011 team and will have to replace five seniors heading into next season.