Event: Volleyball - Methodist vs. Hollins (Salem, VA)
The lead: The final match of the 2018 Maroon classic, hosted by Roanoke College, featured Hollins versus Methodist. The winner would post a 3-1 mark and finish only behind Sewanee (4-0) for the weekend.
Result: Methodist 3-0 (25-21, 25-8, 25-11)
How it happened: The fist set was a tightly contested affair with each team spending time with momentum on their side. The score would be tied at 20-20 but a pair of Hollins errors and two kills by Brittany Ter Meer would allow Methodist to pull away for a 25-21 victory. The back and forth nature of the first set, and the fourth match in just over 30 hours, took it's toll on the Green and Gold. The final two sets would go the way of the Monarchs and Hollins would fall, 3-0.
- Casey Mahan recorded five kills, with no errors, to go with 17 assists, and four digs
- Hollins would be out-hit at the net 44-22
- Hannah Arthur had three blocks and Hannah Piatak led the team with 14 digs
- It was the first split for Hollins since coming to the Maroon Classic
- Middle Kiki Speights was named to the 2018 Maroon Classic All Tournament Team
- Ter Meer finished with 11 kills and three blocks
- Jasmine Tapscott killed a match high 15 attacks and Lili Henry had 39 assists
- Ter Meer was also named to the All Tournament Team
What's next: Hollins will travel to Greensboro to face Guilford College in their Old Dominion Athletic Conference (ODAC) opener on Wednesday, September 12th.