Event: Volleyball - Hollins at Emory & Henry (Emory, VA)
The lead: Old Dominion Athletic Conference (ODAC) play picked back up on Tuesday night when Hollins traveled to Emory & Henry looking to get back in the win column. Hollins lost a two set to none lead on Friday as Goucher College completed a, come from behind, five set win.
The result: E&H 3-0 (19-25, 25-22, 20-25, 26-24, 15-12)
How it happened: For the second consecutive match, Hollins would see an early lead evaporate as they fell in five sets in both matchups. Leading 2-1, the Green and Gold would rally from a three point deficit to tie the fourth set at 17-17. The two ODAC foes would trade points and the set would be tied at 24-24 before the home team would take the final points to even the match. In the finale, Hollins would hold a 5-4 advantage but the Wasps would go on a run to take a 13-10 lead. An attack by Emory & Henry appeared to sail long, but the point went to the Wasps and put Hollins on the brink of defeat. Hollins would score two in a row to cut the deficit to 12-14, but an E&H kill would end the match and give the win to the home squad.
- Deja Hadden continued her excellent play with a career high 28 kills while hitting .404
- Kenna Esquibel and Kiki Speights also registered double-digit kills
- Setter Casey Mahan enjoyed a career night with 49 assists
Emory & Henry notes:
- Tori Holmberg and Rebecca Morehouse each recorded 17 kills
- The two teams hit almost identical percentage (Hollins .255 and E&H .256)
- Sam McCauley assisted on 51 of 69 kills
What's next: Hollins will have two more chances this week to pick up another ODAC win. A trip to Eastern Mennonite is on tap for Thursday night.