STAUNTON, Va. – If this were a bowling alley, you'd hear a familiar "gobble gobble" and see a cartoon turkey running across the screen.
That's because the Hollins volleyball team picked up their third straight win Wednesday, taking down host Mary Baldwin in four-sets (26-28, 25-19, 25-17, 25-13).
How It Happened
Hollins jumped ahead by at least four points twice in set one, but each time MBU clawed its way back in. The two teams traded points back and forth until Hollins was serving for the set at 24-23. Mary Baldwin then used a 3-0 run to take the set, 26-24.
Hollins started the second set a big slugging, falling behind 5-1 and 13-11 before a 9-2 Hollins run, highlighted by four points, including three aces, from Amanda Mink, put Hollins in the driver's seat 20-15. A kill by Tyler Sesker, along with a pair of Fighting Squirrel errors, gave Hollins the set 25-19 and tied the match at one apiece.
Once again, MBU jumped out to an early lead in the third set, but Hollins eventually pulled ahead 15-10 and ended the set on a 10-7 run.
The fourth set was all Hollins as HU seemed to suck all the momentum out of the gym. With the score tied at four apiece, Hollins went on an 18-5 swing, taking advantage of multiple MB errors along with three straight aces from Hannah Piatak. Hollins closed out the final set 25-13 and took the match, 3-1.
- Kiki Speights had another monster night for Hollins, coming away with a double-double (10 kills and 12 digs). She also had three aces and six assisted blocks to round out the night.
- Six players finished the night with AT LEAST five kills for Hollins: Speights (10), Hannah Arthur (7), Sesker (6), Kenna Esquibel (6), Courtney Chappell (6) and Mink (5).
- Hollins finished the night with 13 aces, with Mink and Piatak each adding four.
- Casey Mahan and Zoe Brooks continued their tears to start the season. Mahan had 22 assists, reaching double-digits for the third straight. Brooks added 13 and has AT LEAST eight assists in all five matches to start her Hollins career.
- Hollins used their height to their advantage, finishing the night with nine total blocks to Mary Baldwin's three.
Hollins will be back in action this weekend with a four-match stretch at the Maroon Classic on the campus of Roanoke College. They'll start the invitational on Friday with a noon matchup with NC Wesleyan.